This post may include affiliate links. View the full disclosure here.
This chicken empanadas recipe is a wonderful combination of chicken, cheese and pastry… what could go wrong? Paired with some of Pampered Chef’s famous time saving tools, and this chicken empanadas recipe is a weeknight dinner hero.
You guys. OMG.
Years ago, I made this chicken empanadas recipe. It was a random recipe I ran across. I’ve never had chicken empanadas much less made them. To be honest, I don’t even know how this dish even came onto my radar. It’s not like I’m well versed in Spanish cuisine. It was likely one of my last night Pinterest binges…
Ok, ok. I’ll get to the meat of the post (Pun intended).
The Husband and I don’t like spicy foods, so we toned it down. Just add 1 diced jalapeno to the filling if you want it spicy again. Oh and don’t have cumin? I used Adobo spice! It was quite tasty.
Using the Salad Choppers, it’s super easy to chop the chicken for the filling. Also, as a personal favor to me, pleeeeeeeease shred your own cheese. You’ll find that it melts much nicer and more completely inside the pastry. Not to mention, it just tastes better than the stuff in the bag on the Walmart shelf. The last tool that will help with the filling is the Medium Stainless Scoop. The scoop will give you an even amount of filling across all of your chicken empanadas, ensuring they are all warm and gooey at the same time!
If you don’t have a cold rotisserie chicken on hand, I love making chicken in the microwave in pinch with the Rockcrok.
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken ( I used cold rotisserie chicken)
- 8 oz shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (or you can make your own!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and next 7 ingredients. Mix well.
- Unroll 1 pie crust onto a lightly floured surface. Roll int a 15 inch circle. Cut out rounds using a 3-inch cookie cutter. Re-roll dough as needed.
- Repeat above step with remaining pie crusts, making 12-15 circles total.
- Arrange 1 round on a clean, flat surface. Lightly brush the edges of the crust with water. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of the round.
- Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining rounds and chicken mixture. (I ended up with a LOT of filling left over, so you could buy more crusts or turn the leftover into a dip!!)
- Up to this point, the recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Arrange empanadas on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pairs well with Mexican rice. Add 1 diced jalapeno pepper to the chicken mixture to add heat.
Go forth and enjoy! This recipe would be great for parties where you need an appetizer. I’d suggest a smaller cookie cutter if you want these to be finger foods.
Try it out and let me know how much you love it in the comments!
Check out this post for some quick cooking tips, too.